Friday, October 15, 2010

Results....

We got the results from Emma's MRI yesterday, and I'm more confused now than ever before.

First, I will tell you the explanation that the nurse gave us, then I will tell you the information I have come across on the internet.

She has Mesial Temporal Schlerosis on the left Hippocampus of her brain. The way the nurse explained it was that it was nothing to be concerned about, and not what was causing her seizures, because seizures that are caused by them are Partial Complex, and her Seizures are Generalized. She said that it was likely something that she was born with. She will have to have another MRI in 6 months. I asked her if it was possible that because she had such a short EEG (only 30minutes) if that during the EEG she only had a Generalized and if it was possible that she was having both types. She said it was unlikely.

Thats not what I've been finding. Usually the partial complex are the main type of seizure, and the Generalized are the secondary. Also, she said it was common. MTS shows up in less than 1% of Newly Diagnosed Pediatric epilepsy patients. To me, that's not common. Also, MTS is usually caused by seizures themselves, or other brain damage. So it's most likely not something she was born with. Which means that this is either the result of one of the many falls she's taken, or it means she's been having seizures for longer than we first thought. Oh, and the most common treatment for MTS is removing the sclerosis through surgery.

I'm just frustrated and more confused about the contradicting information that I've been given, and what I've found on my own. We got back to the Neurologist on the 25th, so I'm going to make a list of questions that I have.

In good news, the Topamax seems to be helping tenfold, even though we are not even at the full dose. She has gone from 10-15 seizures a day to about 2-3. She will be on the full dose next week, and then we start to wean her off of the Keppra.

My brain is just in overload right now, I'm not even sure what I've written makes any sense.

No comments: