Take a break from blogging about Epilepsy, seizures, medications, EEG's and MRI's.
I was going to write about our Halloween, and our week with Josh's mom.
I was going to upload pictures from our visit to Savannah yesterday.
And then I read my usual blogs that I read almost everyday.
And I came to Adventures in Babywearing. One of my favorite blogs.
And I was reminded that her son also deals with Epilepsy(although he's been seizure free for sometime thanks to the Ketogenic Diet)
And I was also reminded that November is Epilepsy awareness month.
So I thought it was appropriate that on November 1st I write a post about Epilepsy.
But I don't know what to write. It's a horrible, horrible disease. There are over 45 different types of seizures. From Tonic Clonic, to Absence seizures (which is what most of Emma's are)
I get frustrated when people talk about her seizures like they're not a big deal. Because she's not on the floor seizing and convulsing. Instead, her "simply" stares off into space. Or she has twitches, or drops of her head that usually only last 5 seconds. I was told once by a friend who's daughter also has epilepsy that her daughters neurologist explains that when a child has an absence seizure it's still almost like a frying pan hitting her in the head. The seizures confuse Emma, and make her tired.
I want to help. I want to help Emma and I want to help every other person in the world who deals with this. I want to bring awareness to this Disease. I want people to know what to do when someone has a seizures. I want everyone to know that you can't "catch" Epilepsy.
I want people to know that 70% of cases have no known cause. I want people to know that there are 125, 000 new cases of Epilepsy every year, and 30% of those new cases are children.
I want families that are dealing with Epilepsy to know that they're not alone, even though support groups are hard to find.
I want to help, so I do little things that I feel will make a difference. Like blogging here, even though It might not reach a huge audience, I hope the people that read it will pass along the information. Or passing along information about the Danny Did Foundation to a friend so she can get an Emfit Monitor for her daughter. I want to wear T-Shirts and plaster my car with bumper stickers, because MAYBE, just MAYBE, someone will look and will learn something about Epilepsy that they didn't know. Or even learn what Epilepsy is.
I want to help, and I want to inform everyone about Epilepsy. But, I'm only one person, and will do what little I can. Any maybe, if we all do just one little thing, it will add up to be one big thing.
I will post pictures of the kiddo's a little bit later on, we had a big weekend around here (which ultimately led to more seizures for Emma) so I'll be sure to share the fun stuff to.
I'm going to try to post some facts about Epilepsy everyday for the whole month of November.
The facts I posted here I got from the Epilepsy Foundation's website
No comments:
Post a Comment